PM's

Register Login/Out
Liam at The National Concert Hall, Dublin, 4th March, 2009
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Hothouse Flowers > The Shows - reviews

Author Thread
Margaret

Liam at The National Concert Hall, Dublin, 4th March, 2009  Reply with quote  

Well here I go again, arrive at the Concert Hall to be greeted by Shelley, then Marion and Pema said hello, to our surprise Jules had made it to the concert, Fran was there to greet us as well. Siobhan and Annette arrived and we all had a chat, soon we were told to take our seats in the main auditorium, we were near the front so had a great view.

Liam came on and sat at the grand piano, he asked us if we were in the mood for singing, he played a very soulful song (don't know the name but something about a train) and had us join in, he then sang Motherless Child followed by two songs sung in Irish, then 'Till Our Wedding Day' and 'Is your Love in Vain' accompanied by Martin on Double Base, all were beautifully sung, the music was very atmospheric. We had a short break then Liam came back on and sang a selection from his new album, 'To be Touched', The Native American one (can't remember the name) and Worry Not. Steve Cooney then came on and had a bit of a chat, he played two tunes on the guitar, a very unusual sound he produces on his guitar, he then read out a poem to Liam O'Flynn it was very funny. Liam played Whistle and Steve Guitar to a tune by Liam O'Flynn, 'Bannish Misfortune'. Liam then talked about Tara The Money Mad Mile before they played it, Liam then played accordian (yet another instrument he can play) with bass and guitar. Liam played harp and later told us it was the longest he had played it on stage accompanied by bass and guitar they played a tune with a arabic flavour, it was excellent. Liam sang another song in Irish from new album (sorry I can't find my album cover to get the name of the song), Steve then went off and came back with a diggeridoo, he accompanied Liam on the Aboriginal Song Mimi from new album, another song in Irish ( song of love). Then Liam introducd a guy from Nepal who runs a coffee shop in the Organic Market and Liam has a coffee there, he sang a traditional song from Nepal about a broken heart and accompanied himself on guitar, it was really lovely and he got a rousing burst of applause when he finished. Liam then sang Lakes of Ponchatrain, one of my favourites and then it was all over, it was a very long show with lots of styles of music and various instruments and of course Liam's wonderful voice. Said goodbyt to Siobhan and Annette as it was late and they had to get home. We had a wonderful evening, David would not put his coat on until he had seen Liam, I think he though if he put it on we would go without seeing him. We sat in the bar and had a chat with everyone and Liam came over and we all chatted till we were told they were shutting the doors, we hated to leave but it was over for another evening. Fran and Shelley walked with us up past St Stephens Green to our hotel, we said our goodbyes till next time and they went off to there hotel.

We were not allowed to take photos so the only one I got was after he show of David with Liam, shame as I like to have some photo's of the concerts.

We went to the Guinness storehouse the next day and he got to see how his favourite drink was brewed and got some free tastes, the food in the restaurant is fantastic, highly recommended. We walked back through Dublin thinking we had lots of time, planned to get to the airport early so booked a taxi when we got to our hotel, taxi came off we went 4.45pm on my watch plenty of time, the driver asked me what time our flight was I said 7pm he said you are cutting it a bit fine, I said no we have plenty of time he said its 6pm, oh no my watch had gone slow, he tried his best to get us there on time but when we arrived the gate was closed, we had to catch a later flight to Glasgow where David's brother in law picked us up and took us to pick up our car, the Aer Lingus staff were very helpful, so it wasn't too much of a disaster, we finally got home at 12.30pm very tired.
Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:00 am
Raymund

Margaret,
thanks for a lovely review of events, really nice to read and delivered with such aplomb Exclamation

Although you made it back later I bet deep down you really enjoyed the whole time in Dublin.

Thanks again for the review and look forward to seeing you soon

x
Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:57 am
Angellight

Margaret, thanks again for your fantastic review, it's through you that I somehow feel like I was at all the concerts as well Very Happy

Wow seems the concert was a huge success once again, how wonderful that a few of the familiar flowers family made it as well Cool Isn't Steve Cooney fantastic I was lucky enough to see him last month at the Opera House.

thanks again for a great review, what would I do without you Wink

sonia Smile
Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:19 am
shelley

Thanks for the great review Margaret, you have captured the essence of the night extemely well.
Liam was on top form and the highlights for me were "Is your Love in Vain" and the beautiful "Worry Not"
Sorry to hear you missed your flight.

Shelley xx
Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:55 pm
petal

Oh margaret!

I just love to read your reviews!!! You always seem to remember things in such detail. I'm glad we have you and David to be our eyes and ears, and one day I hope we will be at a gig together.

Thanks again!
Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:03 am
Penny

Thanks for the wonderful review Margaret. You always transform us to the show for those of us who unfortunately live on the other side of the world and are unable to see these amazing concerts. But thanks to you and David we can feel the magic through your words.

I know how David feels about not letting the evening end by putting on your coat. Thanks again for making us all feel a part of the show. Smile

Penny
Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:27 am
Carol S

Thanx Margaret for your brilliant review of a what sounded like a brilliant evening! I am going to use the word brilliant one more time as that is good descriptive word the lovely LOM! Very Happy He does shine!
Always enjoy reading your reviews.........lucky you two have had the opportunity again to get away and have so much fun!
And how nice some of the lovely flowerbuds got to meet up once again.
Carol xo
Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:45 am
Joe

magic in Dublin town  Reply with quote  

cool share, margaret. what an adventure.

tell david, i'm nursing a pint of the tan from the grand guinness factory in his honour.

I might have to honour him one more time later this la eve.

cheers.

j
as sure as i sing
there is a miracle waiting in everything - lom

33 / 240
Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:35 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger