Alley Theatre Strabane 13th November 2009  Reply with quote  

Isn't it amazing.
It'll be easier in the morning.
Your Soul.
Be Good.
Magic Bracelets.
Better Man.
Forever More.
If I had Mary in the woods I'd keep her there till morning.
You can love me now.
Sweet Marie.
Feel like living.
Your love goes on.
Don't Go.
Si Di Mo.
Song of the white strand.
I'm a ramblin man - blues song.
Hallelujah Jordan.

Played for 2hrs 15mins with guest dancers Shelley, Fran, Marion, Shelley, Caroline, Shelley, Pema and Shelley!

Great night was had by all.

Thanks guys

Will try and add some background later.
Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:27 pm
Jules

Where to start?! A peaceful drive across to Strabane from Cavan, with a gorgeous sunset as we neared Strabane.

Great to meet up with everyone before the show in the theatre foyer - Michelle, Shelley, Fran, Margaret, David, Geraldine and Ray - it was so good to see you all again .... and share laughter .... and good times .... and red wine .... and guinness :^)

We all headed into the gig at about 7.50pm and the show kicked off shortly after, with the lads taking the stage to a burst of welcoming cheers and applause. A very brief lull whilst they settled themselves .... then, in this small moment of quietness, from upstairs, out of the darkness, a wee voice calls out .... "hi daddy" - Miss ní Maonlaí Agogué welcoming her dad and his mates in her own way and heralding a brilliant night of music, craic and good times .... it was a lovely intro :^)

I didn't keep a setlist, so kudos and thanks to Ray for his Smile It was good to hear Sweet Marie, Feel Like Living and Amhrán na Trá Báine played to a respectful, appreciative, listening crowd and fab to hear Easier in the Morning again too. Highlights for me were Hallelujah Jordan, (no surprise there - LOVE the rockin' out), but it was also the pulled back, sweet and hushed ending to it this time that worked for me - good one! You Can Love Me Now was cool too - emotion and great to see Liam up front and singing at the mic with a bit of the dancing going on too Smile Speaking of which .... fab to see Fran, Shelley and Carloline working the hips and Marion spinning and whirling onstage like a lintie - good on you girls - brilliant to watch!!

In fact, the whole gig was a highlight! Great to hear Forevermore, Your Soul, Be Good .... and a cool new one, I'm a Rambling Man - bluesy and mellow .... it was all over too soon and I kept wanting to hear "just one more" ....

Back into the foyer bar for a meet-up and a glass or two after the show .... and a grand chat and get-together it was too! All too soon it was time to leave and head back home or to the hotel. So .... a two hour drive back to Cavan through the dark, stormy night .... but, hey, it's ALWAYS worth it!!

A quick shout out to Jacq here .... Jacq and I met 21 years ago at a Flowers gig in Stuttgart, Germany and became friends. We went to loads of gigs and festivals together, but over the past years we kinda lost touch as we changed addresses and whatever, although we did occasionally "touch base" every now and then. We've very recently been in touch through Facebook, but it's been a looooong time since we've actually seen each other. So .... I'm getting ready to leave the theatre in Strabane and walking towards the door when someone comes up behind me, reaches round and grabs a hold of my, errrrrrr .... chest and I hear .... "arrrrrr, you always did have grrrrrreat boobs!!!" Jacq!!!! She's the only one I know who'd do that!! Great to see you again ye mad one, and sorry I had to dash .... will be in touch soon Smile

I agree with Geraldine - this band works for me and I know what you mean G when you say they take you to a better place .... I ALWAYS feel great after a Flowers gig. I also enjoy, so much, meeting up with the friends I've made and have gotten to know so well .... people I probably wouldn't have met if I hadn't gone to that gig on a rainy night in Newcastle more than 21 years ago ....

Roll on Belfast ........... Keep rockin' it lads .... you're good medicine and you bring happiness :^))) .... and, God knows, the world can always do with a bit more of that!

Jules Very Happy
Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:10 am
Angellight

thanks Ray for the setlist and Jules for your lovely review. I always enjoy reading the reviews. Seems another great night was had by all Cool

sonia Very Happy
Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:59 pm
Penny

Thanks Ray and Jules for the great reviews. Of course we are all green with envy on this side of the world but sounds like another superb night with this amazing band. Half your luck and enjoy Belfast you lucky lucky people. Smile Smile
Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:30 pm
shelley

Great review Jules thanks muchly. Described the evening beautifully.
Also thanks to Ray for the setlist.
Roll on Belfast.
Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:09 am
Athena

Loved reading the reviews, thanks Geraldine and Jules...but what's a 'lintie'?
Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:38 am
Jules

Athena .... I believe a Lintie is a small bird. It's a description that was used a lot where I grew up, in the North East of England, used to describe speed/lightness of foot - eg, "she was out the door like a lintie". Bit old-fashioned now and not used a lot!

Jx
Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:17 am
Raymund

Not used a lot you say Question

Hmmmmmmm we shall see if that is true in Belfast Wink
Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:17 pm
Carol S

Oh it does sound like you all had so much fun, hanging out and catching the lads. I sure do miss coming over this time of the year. Great set-list Ray! And very much enjoyed reading your review Jules and as well as Geraldine's and Margaret's. Sights, sounds, good friends, good craic, few drinks,good looking fellas,awesome awesome music and smiley happy shiny people Smile - who could ask for more.
I see the lads are playing on the 19th of December. My birthday......ahhhh - Roger said do you want to do another weekend in Ireland - did that a few years back, but with the time change and I drink too much it was a hard one to recover from. lol Need more than a weekend!
But would love to do it all again Wink
Hope you who are attending the next gig(s) again of course have a blast.
Will stayed tuned to hearing all about it and more pics! Yeah!
Brilliant this internet is!
Luv yas!
Carol xo
Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:13 am
Margaret

Great review Jules and thanks for the set list Ray, I would never have remembered it. It was a fab night and David had wee dance, could not get him to sit down once he was up ha ha, lovely to meet everyone again and our trip around NI was great also going to Donegal to see Carmel, Mike and family. Looking forward to Belfast now. And oh the Killarney gig with Deacon Blue and Hothouse Flowers would be great as we love both bands, its a shame the flights are so expensive at that time of year don't think we will make it boo hoo.
Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:11 am